Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I haven't really got any adventure stories for you lately. On, Monday night, I think that was then, we had a sweet bonfire. It was by no means a typical Abbotsford bonfire, namely because it was very small. However, it was fun. We sat out in the smoking area and made a fire (meaning, as you know me, someone else made a fire) and then we just sat around. One of the guys here, Sean/David (both his names) told a not at all scary story that still caused me to think while I was trying to sleep. It was fun.
I'm starting to feel like this is home. Yet at moments I feel like I wish I were at my house and hanging out with people that know me well. Last night was sweet though. I hadn't played piano since before I left and I hadn't really sung sung since I got here, so last night I was just about ready to die! I sat down at a piano with another girl to sing stuff and then others joined and it was a sweet little imprompto time of worship. Needless to say, my singing secret is out. I had considered not singing just so that I could be known as more than the musician, but it's alright. Now that it's out I'm going to sing on worship teams and stuff, so that'll be fun.
Um, tonight we might go to a 'party'! I'll find out what that means. I think it's like 45 minutes away or something like that, but it'll definately be good to be out of the boat. I haven't left since Saturday to the bong mines, and I haven't even been outside today.
My work today consisted of going to rooms to set up for new people, having nurses sleeping in the rooms because they work nights, and then not being able to do my job. So, we made cookies today, we had to set up/clean up for 3 little events, and I just now made the bed because I figured I needed to do it before the day was up.
I can not begin to explain how incredibly hot it is here. I have never been this hot. Even when it's windy, it is starting to be cool. If I were at home, I would be in tank tops and shorts, but here we always have to cover our knees (it's an odd Liberian culture thing where the men look down on while being turned on by women with exposed knees) and we can't have on thin strap tops on. So, I am switching between my coolest and lightest stuff because it is hot. Even in the A/C ship, it's hot because there's so much going on. And then when you cook with a non-household (meaning larger and hotter) oven it heats up the little room you're working in, and when your own room has no windows, it just gets nice and toasty. I am definately excited to go out. I think if I can find someone, I'll header outside for a bit just for a walk.
If you feel like it, feel free to pray for me. I'm meeting lots of people, and starting to form friendshps. Pray that I find lasting relationships and that I get to know some great people. Pray that I can be an impact even in the capacity of my job. Pray that I will find true joy in my job, and that the ship will miraculously be not so hot. Pray that the food will get better because it is definately not very good for the most of the time. And pray that I will get all my funding in and that I will take specific time each day for God.
I love you all.
P.S. If you have any simple with relatively easy to obtain ingrediants recipies that you would love to send me, I would appriciate it. We have to make stuff all the time, and I want to make good stuff, and to me, that means things from Canada!
P.P.S. I know this is rather demanding in a way, but I would truly appriciate it if you leave a comment. It's hard with this whole time change. I'll write people at any point in the day, and almost always it's not until the next day that I get a reply. Probably the hardest thing to deal with is the time change with home. I guess you could pray that the time change would vanish!

8 comments:

tomandlynette said...

I understand about the heat!!! We're praying for you sweetie. Love Lynette

jc said...

Hi Nadine,
This is Carmen, Kirsten's friend. I've been checking in on your blog occassionally, and am thrilled to hear about your experiences with Mercy Ships in Africa. This will be a year you'll never forget!
~Carmen

Becky said...

Nadine,
What a delight to hear how you are doing! I am especially pleased to see your cooking talents being used! I will definately be visiting your blog over the course of the next year. Are you able to post any pictures? I would love to see what your ship looks like and the areas you visit. Keep in touch! Love & prayers,
Becky
you're out of school now, I suppose first names are appropriate:)

Becky said...

Oh, is it okay that I have added you as a link in my blog? It is much easier for me to find you again that way. If not, let me know and I'll remove it! :)

The W's said...

Hey Nadine!
It is great to hear some updates! Sounds like you have been having great adventures and meeting some people. It's always nice when you can fellowship with other believers.

Kirsten said...

Love you Nadine!! Good thing you didn't end up bringing that puffy vest!! Now I get to wear it. Thanks!! ha ha. Just kidding. So glad to hear another update. Miss you and praying for you. Love Kirst

tomandlynette said...

Don't worry, in a couple of months the heat won't bother you quite so much. Thanks for keeping your blog updated. You are doing great at describing things. We are praying for you!
Tom

Lorrie said...

Wow, you are quite the writer, I could almost imagine myself sweating with you ;) Many prayers sent your way, and the updates are fantastic!! I will try and find some recipes that only require a few ingredients for ya...keep up the positive attitudes and good spirits Nadine!