Saturday, September 29, 2007

Mercy Ships Girls. Be my friend.









I just got back about an hour ago from shopping in town with a girl named Yvonne. It was a lot of fun. The funny thing is that not all, but many of the men say hello and like, we got free rides both ways just because we're two white girls by ourselves. The day was a good day. We headed out around 10 am, got a ride with two guys from the World Distribution Services (or something like that), shopped around one street, ate lunch on the roof or a building, and then walked to another street for shopping and then walked most of the way back until we were picked up.


For those of you who love fabric, I bought some beautiful stuff today. I bought enough for at least two bags and a skirt and I paid $4 american. I love it. It's so funny because when you pay like $10 here it feels like so much, and it's so easy to just bargain for things because it's far "too" expensive. I am though, rather sunburnt. I didn't wear sunscreen, and I was fine for most of the day until we were walking back because there were no cabs around and I definately got burnt. I do have a lovely sandal tan on my feet which amazes me because it shows my tan from today because I haven't worn these shoes out yet.


I've started to say 'eh' more. I don't know if maybe I say it at home, but I definately say it here. I'm working not to because everytime I do people comment, which means people comment a couple times a day because it's slipping out!! Also, so many words just make me laugh. At home I say 'H-core' more with camp friends than others, but here, I said that and people didn't know what I meant and were confused. That is definately an Abbotsford type thing. And like, everybody here says 'small small' and 'plenty plenty'. There's like a NCA thing here (for those of you who know what that means) which is MSA for Mercy Ships Appropriate. We'll be like, 'that's not MSA'. We can't show our knees here when we're out and during the day. Another thing is that we add an 'o' to some words like 'fine-o' and 'sorry-o' and 'bye-o'. It's really funny. It makes me just laugh when I think about the fact that I've adapted so quickly to what others do.


Speaking of adapters, this is more of a petty complaint. My adapter works but not for my straightener or blow drying which is why I brought it. So I can charge my batteries, but not straighten my hair, which speaking of hair, I cut mine. I'm going to post some pictures. They're more or less for my Mom and sisters but I guess all of y'all who read this (the so many that you are .. haha) will get to see them as well. Not a lot off. Well, actually a fair bit and I got bangs. I'm definately missing my straightener. Luckily I can borrow some of my roomies blow dryers when I need one, but I'll have to figure out what to do about straightening. It's such a petty thing especially when I think of the devestation that I see when I go out. I was really happy to go out today because I hadn't been out during the day except to orphanages and to church. It's so easy to complain about things, and I know I will probably always continue to do that, but it's good to realize that I am truly blessed.


I've started to read a book by Philip Yancey. There is an amazing library on the ship. People, when they leave, often choose to leave books, so there is quite a few books here for the borrowing. The book I'm reading is 'Disappointment with God - three questions no one asks about'. It's really encouraging, and it's definately making me think.


I'm sure that if you read my last post you could sense that I was struggling with some stuff, but I'm stepping back towards being good. I'm feeling a lot happier and content which is good, but as well, God totally revealed Himself to me last night.


Here on the ship, every moment when we're alone is precious and should be carefully used because they're rare. I was on the dock with a few people and slowly they all left and I was there by myself. There's a smoking area which is where we hang out so that those who want to can smoke, so it's more or less closed off so I sat on the very very end of the dock and just started talking honestly to God. I initiated the conversation and a little fish popped up. I asked God questions that needed 'yes' answers and everytime at the right moment a fish would come up. The fish here are I think flying fish so they do these crazy jumps, but I've only really seen them jump one to maybe four times, but I saw one that I'd say jumped at least eight times, and I really felt like it was God telling me things. It was just really encouraging and very much what I needed.


Tonight we're playing life size 'Frustration' so that should be a fun gong-show. Speaking of gong-shows ... no one knows what that means. Really funny! And to be in someone's 'good books' is a British thing which us Canadians have adapted, so Brits understand but others don't. Very interesting.

2 comments:

The W's said...

Great update! I can relate to the hair straightener...I love mine too :)

tomandlynette said...

Even though I haven't been where you are, I know what you mean about so many things...picking up words/expressions, frustrations with adapters, loving new sights, Yancey books, beautiful fabric, bartering...Love you! Lynette