Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Cece Beach





Today our department went to the beach. We work 8-5 Monday to Friday with one of us on duty each day (including weekends) so it was nice to have a day off to just relax under the sun. I am definately sunburnt (again ... I know) but I did wear sunscreen today!! It's partially to do with a anti-malaria pills I am taking. They make the skin succeptable (wrong spelling I'm sure!) to sun burns. Not the best thing when you live in a country with a lot of sun. The rainy season, which has been going on for like 2-3 months is done (or at least at the tail end) and it is lovely outside. It was great to be out. Working all day means I'm indoors so I usually try to spend some time each night outdoors. Tonight though, I don't have as much of a desire because I am sunned out!













Though this picture definately doesn't show the sun; I love watching the sunset. I watch it roll off the end of the sea and I know that it's heading home to those whom I love. It makes me feel like the world isn't quite so big and that you all aren't quite so far away.



I took a lot of pictures because I just wanted to try to capture the beauty. It's rather hard to capture it with a camera, but hopefully you can appreciate the rare quality that I saw. There is so much devestation and brokeness here, but the water (while dirty in many places) is so pure and beautiful. It just reminds me so much of God's power.

The footsteps reminded me of the story of a man having a conversation with God about how sometimes God was with him and sometimes he walked alone, but God told him that the times where there was only one set of footprints was when God had carried him through the hard times when he had felt the most alone.











Just a thought to post here.






I put a lot of pictures up partially for me because then I can see them when I get home in case something happens while I'm here.






I know I put some pictures of the Liberians up, but for the most part I am not taking lots of pictures of the people unless they ask or there is a specific reason. These people are not a show. I don't post the pictures so that you will be moved. I want to show my experience. I don't want to make a huge deal about everything. I don't think these words are being expressed in the way that I want them too; however, I just really don't want to make a spectacle of the people. I want to earn their respect, and taking their picture just for my sake is not what I want.











I also have a prayer request. Today we found out that our crew fees are going to be going up almost $100 per month as of January. That means that I am going to have to figure some things out. I knew that the fees would go up slightly, but basically everyone on board is slightly suprised by the announcement. If you could pray that God will move in the area of finances, that would be great. I hate asking for money. I was talking to my sister today about that today. I really didn't like asking for money before I came because I don't think it is the world's responsibility to pay for my trip. However, this is a significant increase in the amount of money that I need. I know already that God will provide. I'm just not quite sure how. This next line is literally making me cringe. If you are interested in financially supporting me, please email me or my Mom. She can give you any information that you need. (gary_schroeder@shaw.ca). As well looking online at the Mercy Ships website will give you any information that you might need. The most important thing is that my name cannot be on any cheque so when you fill things out, you just need to put my name as the 'missionary' that you are supporting. I feel like saying sorry for asking for this.






I have been learning a lot in the past while that prayer is important. I have been so encouraged by the people who have sent me emails just saying that they thought of me and prayer. I truly truly appreciate that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a great blog!!

My name is Fernanda Lima, I´m brazilian and I loved your blog and how you write!

Do you make friendship for mail?
=]

I hope you answer! We will can change postals for our countrys, what do you think this?

My e-mail is:

fernandalima2004@hotmail.com

Bye!=]

Anonymous said...

Ow! I forgot tell you:: your photos are very beautiful!! Really!!^_^

Nadine said...

Thanks a lot. Um, I currently can't really get mail beyond what is already on my blog. You can send things there. Sorry about that. Thanks for the comments though.

The W's said...

Wonderful pictures Nadine! You're right in that pictures don't do justice to experiencing it first hand but you're doing a great job at capturing the beauty of all you see. I admire you for your desire to respect the people of your community and not wanting to "exploit" them for lack of a better word. Praying your financial needs will be met.

The W's said...

Oh Nadine, can I add your blog to my links?