Thursday, October 25, 2007



So today was actually the most eventful day ever. I've been really stressed so I took the afternoon off to watch a movie with another lady on the ship. I was plugging in the cords and setting up the tv in a cabin and it blew up. I don't actually remember much beyond that because according to her and the firemen and medical people; I was thrown down to the ground. My friend ran outside to get a breath thing (they're all over the ship for safety reasons) that is used if air is contaminated. It's not a gas mask because it gives oxygen. I don't know how to explain it. Anyways ... she tried to help me and realized that the fire from the tv was getting larger so she got a fire extinguisher and pushed one of the fire alarms. She tried to get the fire out but was unsuccessful and couldn't get out so she hid in the bathroom.


Within a few minutes which probably felt like hours to her, the firemen arrived. They got me out first because they heard me moaning in the corner so I was carried out initially to the hallway, then further away from the fire, and then to an area where a medical team took over. I was given oxygen, some kind of needle for something and some of the blood was washed off. I have never been so covered in blood. It really is not a pleasant smell. So, right before they were going to put an IV in I regained consiousness and within a little while I was alright. I'm pretty shaken up from it, but I think I'll be okay.


My friend is fine. They didn't find her for a little bit so she ended up with quite a bit of smoke inhilation, but she had a bandana and she soaked it in water and put it over her face which is why she is okay now.

.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


.


I had to leave that space there because it is vital that you look at this picture after reading the explaination of my day above.





Now this lovely picture needs a description. Today was a fire drill day. Either every or every other Thursday we have a fire drill. 'Victims' are used. I got to be a fire victim today. All of those things did happen. I got to get ketchup ALL over me which I can still smell now even after showering and putting on a lot of perfumed lotion. Some interesting moments were while I was being carried because there was not stretcher right where we were so two of the firemen (one of whom I babysit for his kids, so that was REALLY funny) carried me and my shirt was having this great little habit of riding up so I would try to subtly pull it down. And then when the medical team was checking on me, they made a comment about injecting a needle and I quickly moved my arm and they laughed, as well as they were going to check something and started to raise my shirt and I was very very very fast to pull it down. They did not need to check whatever they wanted to check. They also did not do everything that was neccesary because they didn't want to get ketchup on everything! I wonder if I'll get the day off tomorrow

I hope I scared you a little bit!!

Helpful Hint Of The Day:

DO NOT PUT KETCHUP ON YOUR ARMS, NECK, FACE, IN HAIR OR ANYWHERE ELSE BECAUSE THE SMELL DOES NOT QUICKLY GO AWAY AND MOST PEOPLE WILL LOOK AT YOU FUNNY, HOWEVER IT DOES MAKE FOR AN INTERESTING STORY!!

I just thought I would post a picture of my updated room. I am still living in the same place, but I switched my duvet cover last week and it's way cuter. Hearts versus the apples!! And my roomate left so I got to move to the bottom bunk which means no more climbing up to my bed using a table to get up and no more having to turn off my light early!! I redecorated it and it's a lot more personal so I like it a lot. I'm finding it a lot easier as well to do stuff like devo's because a place to sit is quickly accessable rather than a trek!! (just a note ... send me a letter/card/anything and it'll get displayed on my wall and brighten my day daily!!)

I love you all lots and miss you more than you could ever know!

7 comments:

Becky said...

Okay, you had me! I was wondering how you got blood on you if it was a fire, and how in the world, the TV could explode! Good to see you are still having fun. Your room looks great! We are heading into Spiritual Emphasis week at MEI, so if you think of it, you could pray for our student body. Thanks! and take care of yourself!!

tomandlynette said...

I was thinking you must be kidding...I hoped! Love you always, Lynette

Tyrone said...

WOW! I just found your blog and added it to the MercyShipsLinks.blogspot.com link blogroll...

Almost didn't catch that.

Oh yeah, I know all about the ketchup...but for other reasons.

Kirsten said...

Ok!! Not funny!!! You totally had me. I was going to call mom and dad even before finishing the post, but then kept scrolling....and noticed that your burns looked a little different than what I am used to : ) Love you! Thanks for the laugh. Miss you lots reading this

The W's said...

You had me too! What a great storyteller you are!

Lorrie said...

You totally got me, lol, great post! I am praying for ya still, and your room is looking great! I used to have that same duvet cover cept in grey, I LOVED IT!!!

Greg said...

Nice to no you have Breath thingers close by for when you do blow up the TV. Although I would wait for a bigger audience. You could charge money for seeing that kind of explosion!