Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Motherhood?

If you've met me and talked to me about the future, and if the conversation went to the area of marriage and family, I have always said I would like at least 4 children.
Tonight I planned to babysit for my usual family. They have three kids and I really have grown to love them! I got asked by another family to babysit and because the kids are the same-ish ages and live in next door cabins and the times would work together well, I agreed. This meant babysitting for 6 children! So I babysat for a 6 month old, two 3 year olds (I think they're both around 3), two 6 year olds and a nine year old. I easily could have gotten those ages wrong, but I don't think you will mind. Regardless, I had a funny night. The three kids who I had never babysat for before were thrilled to say the least to be with me and we had fun and my regulars had fun as well. There were very few incidents. Some spilled water, popcorn, and several bouts of tears (as results of the spilled water and desire for more popcorn), but it went well. I can't say that I will plan to have 6 children under the age of 9, but 4 kids still sounds good!

Life on the ship has been really good lately. One of the challenges of being here has been being 18 with most of my friends here being over the age of 23. This has been fine and I have loved all of my friends and have grown close to lots of them, but I basically had to grow up quicker. It wasn't hard since my siblings are sooooo old (just kidding) and I've always had to hang out with older people, but it has been hard because 25 year olds have different thought then 18 year olds, so I've quickly grown up.

However, about two weeks ago a girl from Australia who is my age came. We've bonded really quickly and have had so much fun. I can act my age again. I laugh way more, am louder, and I'm being more social and doing stuff. We have a tradition of playing SKIP-BO and drinking tea. It's good. It truly is a blessing from God because I was so doubting being here and was becoming so lonely, but it's getting a lot better. I chose not to write about it too much because I thought that you know, I'm here for God, but I am learning that God
gives us desires and fulfills them, in His time. He is good!

.... Imitating ....

One really good thing about my parents being here was that my Mom brought some devotional books. I read one of them in one sitting (it wasn't that difficult, but it was beautiful -Epic by John Eldridge --co-author of Captivating) and two of the others are 30-day devo books, and I am really proud of myself. I've never been good at committing to a book or committing to doing devo's, but I am 15 days strong (I sound like a drug-user!). Though the book itself isn't the best, it gets me to read some scripture each day so it's great to be reading the Bible and actually talking to God.


One quick prayer request. We sail tomorrow back to Liberia. Please pray that all goes well and that the outreach in Liberia is good. Liberia has been really dangerous lately and there are a lot of political and yeah, lots of issues there, so pray as well for our safety as we head back. There are a lot of new crew who are hearing of Liberia and are quite fearful to go out there. Pray that God keeps us safe and that we are willing to be used by Him and not scared of what might happen. At the end of the day, living for the King of all Kings is a whole lot better than sitting still simply being scared.

I hope you're doing good. I'd love if you left a comment. It's nice to hear who's reading!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're looking mighty cute these days nadine! keep it real aight

tomandlynette said...

Old??? Guess you're right :) I'd agree that 4 kids are great...at least! We love the pictures.

tomandlynette said...

Lucas' favourite pic is the one with you and the monkey. He wonders if you have a picture of the black panther from the zoo? Mom wrote him on a postcard that you saw one.

I'm really glad you found a close friend.

Want to come babysit here? Only I wouldn't want to go out then!

Greg said...

What's up you young punk! I've ofton thought about how it affects you having us old farts as siblings. In some ways you mature faster and seek things before you would otherwise. On the other hand, you miss out on some things because you blow right past them. This year I've started to develop some friends my age, but over the last ten years I was finding that most of my friends were 5 years or more younger or older than me. I think it's important to find some of each, as it gives you a more well rounded social life. I do different things and act different depending on who I hang out with, but each group shapes who I am. I'm glad you found someone your own age, and also that you've been able to develop friends older than you as well. Just remember that you are always the same person, so don't change yourself for other people too much. God made you this way for a reason!