Wednesday, January 30, 2008

And the hardest thing is hanging up the phone.

And the hardest thing is hanging up the phone.

I know I’ve been gone for a while
I know I haven’t been good at coming home
I know that you might not understand
But the hardest thing is hanging up the phone.

Sometimes I slam it down quickly
Sometimes I sit for minutes until I hear the dial-tone
Sometimes the tears almost start to flow
Because the hardest thing is hanging up the phone.

The days when I don’t get emails are tough
And the nights where I can’t sleep are rough
And the moments where I stare at your picture break my heart
But the hardest thing is hanging up the phone.

So if I hang up quickly
Don’t think me too hasty
If I avoid calling
Don’t think of me as being alright
I’m only stopping the tears before they come
I’m only fighting the only way I know how

Because the hardest thing is
To say goodbye
To know it’ll be a while until I see you again.
The hardest thing is
To know that you’re alright without me
You’re functioning fine without me by your side
The hardest thing is
Hearing the busy signal
Or the sound of your message saying you’re not there
But the hardest thing of all is hanging up the phone.

Nadine Schroeder – January 29th, 2008

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

I love you Nadine!!! Praying for you in your joy and loneliness. Glad you are able to write to express yourself. You are amazing : )

tomandlynette said...

I love you Nadine. It's hard to be far-away, especially when you just had a taste of what you're missing. Doesn't make it any easier for you, but I do know how you are feeling. Happy Sailing!

The W's said...

Thinking of you. I tried emailing but it was sent back to me. I'll try again...maybe with your other address.