Friday, January 4, 2008



My fingers ache as I play this song
'Cause I haven't picked up my guitar in so long
I think it's because I've been afraid to say
What I really think
And you know I cannot lie when I sing

And I lay down the load
Endlessly I think about the possibility
Of reconciliation between you and me
But there is no road
Where I don't have to lay down my load
Of pride, bitterness, and jealousy
I see how it all worked out
I see how he laid these stepping stones before me
For my own good
And I lay down the load




The line in the song, that is bolded and italicized is a line that spoke rather profoundly to me yesterday. It's a thought that's run through me a lot lately.

When I struggle with God, when I am fighting His love, and when I have 'my load of pride bitterness, and jealousy' I find it easy to 'ache as I play' my songs because I know that 'I'm afraid to say what I really mean' and because I know as well as God knows, that 'I cannot lie when I sing'.

When I struggle the most I don't dare let myself sing. Well, I'll sing, but I won't write songs and I won't find passion in music. I'll find pride in music, but I won't find peace.

In the past week I think I've written 5 songs.

It makes me smile because it's not that they're any good. Maybe 2 of them would be ones I would ever desire to record, but really, that's the least that matters.

I just want to praise my King.
So I'll sing,
and I'll
lay down the load.


1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Love you! Think you need an update : )