Tuesday, January 1, 2008

January 1st, 2008 -- Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!
I hope you all, wherever you, whatever you are doing, are doing good.
I am quite excited for the time to come and thankful for the past few days.
With a couple of friends, we went to the south of the island, rented a little cabin and just bussed into town and spent time on the beach, they shopped a bit, and just hung out, having dinner out, and just staying together and having so much fun.
When I signed up for Mercy Ships, I expected this time to be doing an outreach in one country. I had no idea that the Canary Islands are a beautiful set of islands that are just amazing and a great place to be.
I didn't realize how much I would need this time to kind of settle before going back to Liberia. Especially not having known that I would be returning to Liberia, it's been really good to be here and just rest.
Christmas break for the crew started on December 21st and goes until January 6th. I've had all my days off so far except for when I volunteered in the dining room on the 22/23rd weekend. Then this Thursday I'll be on duty until the 7th when regular work will start.
Excited for time to come ...
2008. A crazy new year. It's kind of weird to write it. I'd assume that it is a similar feeling for many. Reading other blogs, people are transitioning into new eras of their lives, recuperating from an era, and being comfortable where they are at. As much as, honestly, God and I are working on our relationship, well, He's working, and I'm trying to figure out where we're at, and yeah, I still am so aware of how He works everything together, He is with us, and He is faithful. I am so glad that God is who He is, because I cannot imagine living without Him. Even when I turn my back, He is there, ready and waiting for me when I get onto my knees and ask Him back. He always says YES, and for that, I am a truly thankful child of Christ.
In 8 days and approximately 45 minutes, plus longer with customs and all that lovely baggage picking up time, I will be seeing my parents! For that, I am also SO very thankful. When they first considered seriously coming, it was right when I arrived, and I wasn't quite sure. I was confident that I did not need them to come visit, but now, I am so glad. I have missed them (and everybody from home, seriously!) so very much and yeah, I can definitely say that I am very glad that they are coming.
The Future. Who knows what it will bring. I think I wrote about it, but I got accepted to UCFV a couple of weeks ago, so it is very nice to know potentially what I will be doing in the Fall. Camp is definitely an option for the summer. We'll see what happens there. I know my hearts desires, but they've got to be aligned with Christ's, so again, I'll see what happens.
Yesterday. The past. I think people who say that they live with no regrets are lucky, because I haven't yet learned that lesson. However, I'm learning that everything that happens, the mistakes, the challenges, the laughter, the tears, the momentous moments, the late night chats, the scary drives, and everything, they all lead us into the person who we will become, and how we react to everything is our choice. Yesterday is there. It will always be there. Though it's my duty to try to fix the things that I can and cry out to Jesus for forgiveness for my mistakes, it's also my job to climb up off the ground and move on. I'm working on it. I'm not there yet, but I'm getting closer.
Today. January 1st, 2008. A new day. A new year. Moments passing so I need to cherish them. Moments occurring so quickly that I shouldn't waste them. Moments to come that I should prepare for.
Happy New Years!
I hope you are having an amazing beginning to your year and that you know, with every fibre in you, that Christ loves you and desires to lead you in this year, each and every step, if only you are willing for Him to take hold of your hand. Trust me. It's worth it. He'll never let go. He'll never leave. He'll never lead you in places that He can't pick you up our of. He'll always love. He'll always hold on.
(lyrics from 'Refreshed', which I wrote a few months ago)

You don't withdraw
You don't withhold
You simply hold me
And beckon me closer

I am overwhelmed
I am so overwhelmed by this
I am refreshed
I am refreshed by You.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Seeing as you've had way more time to have 2008 experiences than me, I figured I'd check to see how they are. Until yesterday, I wouldn't have been able to say this, but now I can, "See you this year!"