Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Good Life I Live

So basically I came straight away yesterday to write this, but internet didn't work, so I couldn't post. Then I figured I'd phone someone and share, but the phone's weren't working! Yay for being in the ocean.

Well, for one, we've arrived. We are back in the SO HOT Liberia. I do not remember it being this hot. It is now the dry season so it is rediculously hot! I think the crew has sweated in one day what most people sweat in a summer. It is insane.

But the exciting bit ...

So yesterday, I sailed the ship for two hours!
(This is where I stood for 2 hours!!!)
I was at the wheel, turning it, keeping it on course, keeping the rudders at the right place. It actually is simple (obviously, or they wouldn't let me do it!). The Captain came in a couple times and it was fun. I talked with him and another deck officer about trips they've been on, and things they've done. It was really cool. You couldn't see anything outside it was so foggy. You could definatly tell we were coming into Liberia.

Then I went outside and even though you couldn't see out at all, you could see SO many stars. It was absolutely breathtaking! I saw Orion's Belt, Leo, Taurus, the Fake Cross, plus much more. I also saw Mars and Saturn. It was cool to think that you can see stars and planets and they are so very far away!

Keep praying for safety. There was an armed robbery recently on the street closest to the port.

Have a great day! Miss you all!

6 comments:

The W's said...

What a fun experience!! So is this maybe a direction into a new career....Captain? :)

Kirsten said...

Hey Captain!! What a bad connection today, hey? I think the worst yet. Did make it kind of funny. I went for a nice run right after talking to you. Love you! Enjoy your new Starbucks job.

Nadine said...

I shall be the Captain. I told our Captain that!
The Officer who was on the bridge with me said I'm basically ready. I just need to learn to navigate by the stars now!

Kirst ... Definately worst connection. I couldn't understand you at all!

Greg said...

Maybe you could get a couple ships and be Commadore!

So excited for you. I told you!

I'm definitely jealous of that experience.

tomandlynette said...

Great for your resume! It's fun to see the new expressions you're using, being around people from lots of countries. Love you lots! Lynette

Chris said...

Just dropped in to read a bit from Candy's page. Sending prayers your way for God to ease some loneliness and give you comfort, peace and strength for each day.

CHarms